Ventura County Emergency Preparedness Guide – Audio File
Guía de preparación para emergencias – archivo de audio
Guía de Preparación para Emergencias
Lista de suministros de emergencia
During an emergency, you can be a hero to your loved ones in just a few simple steps. So, while public safety heroes are leaping from tall buildings, you can take care of your family in a single bound.
Utilities and basic services could be interrupted for a while. Ward off a personal disaster by collecting these items ahead of time. To build an emergency kit to sustain your family for at least THREE days. Here’s what you’ll need:
Recommended Items to Include in a
Basic Emergency Supply Kit:
- Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries, or a hand crank flashlight
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers, inverter, or solar charger
- On a budget? No problem. Many of these items can be found at local dollar stores.
- Put an old backpack to use or cruise garage sales and local thrift stores for an inexpensive bag to hold your kit.
- While you’re at it, make another kit for your vehicle, workplace or school.